Flexible dates
Guest room 2


Guest room 3


Guest room 4


Prenota

Castiglione del Lago

Castiglione del Lago is a town in the Province of Perugia (central Italy), on the southwest corner of Lake Trasimeno.

Castiglione del Lago has evolved on what used to be an island - the fourth island of Lake Trasimeno, in its south west region. Over the centuries, as the town grew, the flat gap between the island and the shore was filled with piazzas, houses, churches and other buildings.

The Fortress of the Lion was built by Emperor Frederick II. The pentagonal-shaped castle, was completed in 1247 CE by the monk-architect Elia from Cortona. The castle features square towers in four of its corners and a triangular shaped bastion, or donjon, known as the Mastio in the other. The castle was designed to give its owners strategic control over all of Lake Trasimeno. The castle has withstood a number of sieges over the subsequent centuries.