Flexible dates
Guest room 2


Guest room 3


Guest room 4


Prenota

Norcia

Norcia (Nursia in Latino) is an Italian municipality of 4 981 inhabitants in the province of Perugia. The town is located at a distance of 96 km from the Umbrian capital, at about 600 m asl. and to the north limit of the plateau of Santa Scolastica, a tectonic plain located in the heart of the Umbrian-Marche Apennines and inserted in the territory of the National Park of the Sibillini Mountains. It is the easternmost municipality in the Umbria region.
The artistic heritage of the town nursina, although still conspicuous and interesting, is nevertheless affected by seismic events, often catastrophic, which over the centuries have inflicted serious injuries, destroying important monuments and traces of a remote past that dates back to pre-Roman times. Moreover, in much of the historic centre, the low buildings and the shoe-shaped perimeter walls are characteristic, evidence of the regulations that were adopted in the "ad hoc" pontifical legislation after the 1859 earthquake, which recommended shack buildings.


The artistic-monumental fulcrum of the city certainly revolves around its central square where, with an organization of Renaissance flavor, the buildings that symbolise the nursina identity are concentrated:
   The Basilica of San Benedetto, whose original construction, with its splendid Gothic façade, rose window and the friezes of the 4 evangelists, dates back to the 12th century. Tradition has it that it was built on the remains of the saint's birthplace but more likely in the same place stood a basilica of Roman times that was later destroyed. The historic building collapsed, with the exception of the facade, following the earthquake of 30 October 2016.
   the Portico delle Misure, an indoor cereal market with stone capacity still visible, built close to the basilica in 1570.
   La Castellina, the fortified residence, seat of the prefecture and of the papal governors, built in 1554 to a design by Vignola.
   The Cathedral of Santa Maria Argentea, built on the site occupied by a parish church demolished in 1554 to make room for the Castellina, of which the portal remains reassembled on the left side, houses some works by Flemish authors and a triptych wall of the sixteenth century by Francesco Sparapane. The cathedral collapsed, except for part of the facade, following the earthquake of 30 October 2016.
    The Town Hall, a building dating back to the fourteenth century, extensively renovated in the nineteenth century because of damage caused by previous earthquakes.
    The monument to St. Benedict of Norcia, made by Francesco Prinzi on the occasion of the XIV centenary of the saint's birth.
    More decentralized than Piazza San Benedetto, but always of considerable artistic interest, is the Monumental complex of San Francesco, whose construction dates back to the fourteenth century and which now houses the municipal archive and the civic library.
    Another example of a Gothic façade that follows the structure of the patronal abbey is represented by the Church of Sant'Agostino, from the XIV century
    The Tempietto, the most original and best preserved historical building in Norcia, by the Vanni della Tuccia nursing school in 1354. In the Middle Ages it was called Maìna, this stone aedicule, strictly classical in structure, which is contrasted by an antique sculptural decoration similar to a Lombard goldsmith's work, consisting of zoomorphic, phytomorphic, anthropomorphic, geometric, symbolic, esoteric motifs.
    Near the Porta Ascolana, the cryptoportico houses some archaeological finds found in different areas of the city and belonging mainly to the Sabine civilization.
    Outside the walls there are numerous monuments of a certain artistic interest. The church of the White Madonna, near the locality called Forca d'Ancarano, is a valuable building dating from the fifteenth century.
    In Campi is very interesting the parish church of Sant'Andrea, inside the town with its original and functional architecture and the charming aerial loggia of triangular plan that characterizes it.
    Also near the hamlet of Campi, the church of San Salvatore with its two rose windows and two portals from different periods, collapsed following the earthquake of 30 October 2016, is worth a visit.
    At 12 km from the town centre, near the hamlet of Savelli, you can see the consolidated and restored ruins, together with the surviving frescoes, of the Madonna della Neve, an elegant octagonal building, built on drawings by Bramante, which was almost destroyed during the 1979 earthquake.
    Near the hamlet of San Pellegrino stands the convent of Santa Maria di Montesanto, a building of the fourteenth century erected by the friars Clareni and entrusted over the centuries to various religious orders, until the beginning of the last century, since it lies abandoned.